Sunday, July 3, 2016

Fancy Words

The longer I live, the more I realize that I am not nearly as well-read as I once thought.
I love words and their origins, though ~ a "semi-Logophile", if you will ~ but today, on Facebook, someone used a word that I don't recall ever seeing in print (or heard, to my knowledge) before ~ "quotidian". And they used it in a very "quotidian" manner, too (wait for it, if you are as uninformed as I was) ~ they were not being intentionally pompous or anything.

I don't think.

Anyway, I felt kind of dumb (and I am willing to bet I'm not the only one who did, after reading that comment), and I immediately Googled it. (Because that's what I have to do...you would not believe how often I Google things.)

I found the neatest site called "The Every Girl" ( theeverygirl.com ), and the subject was "Using Fancy Words" ~ it made me feel better about the whole thing,
I tell you...so I borrowed the following information ~ (totally THEIRS, not mine ~ hope I am crediting correctly!) ~ (Also, the list of Fancy Words at the bottom must have been discussed at some point, and I was pleased to discover that I knew (and had correctly used) most ~ though not all ~ of them.)

Soooo....I will probably, at least, remember "quotidian"...how about you? Have you discovered and "new" words lately?

(All definitions via dictionary.reference.com )

Fancy Word *EveryGirl*s should know: quotidian

Why we chose this fancy word: 
One of our writing interns, Clarissa Fidler,
stumbled upon this word while reading a New York Times article by David Carr.
She found the well-known writer's unique, poignant perspective on the topic of
plagiarism to be anything but quotidian.

Definition: quotidian (adj.) pronunciation: kwoh-tid-ee-uhn

1. daily
2. usual or customary; everyday
3. ordinary; commonplace


Use this word in a sentence: Martha's quotidian looks and shy demeanor were no match for Zoe's breathtaking beauty and charismatic personality.


Have you been using past fancy words?

insouciant = free from concern, worry, or anxiety; carefree

self-effacing = not drawing attention to oneself; modest

picayune = of little value or account; small; trifling

risible = causing or capable of causing laughter; laughable; ludicrous.

parvenu = someone who has recently acquired wealth or importance but has not yet developed the appropriate manners

usurious = charging illegal or exorbitant rates of interest for the use of money

blandishment = something that flatters or coaxes

innocuous = not harmful

fruition = attainment of anything desired; realization; accomplishment

libation = a pouring out of wine or other liquid in honor of a deity

ubiquitous = existing or being everywhere, especially at the same time

chimerical = highly unrealistic; wildly fanciful

pithy = brief or forceful

euphemism = nice way of saying something unpleasant

loquacious = talkative, babbling

osculation = a kiss

resplendent = having a splendid appearance

pedantic = ostentatious in one’s learning

compendium = summary or account of a subject



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I am pleased to say that at least I pronounced it properly!

    ReplyDelete

I love your thoughts and comments, and I read each and every one! Sometimes life gets in the way, though, and it takes me a while to respond...Thank you for understanding! ♥...Time is precious, and the time you have taken here is truly appreciated!